It was pitch black when I left for my run at 5:15 a.m. so I wore a head lamp.

Even though it makes me look like a huge dickhead, I love wearing a head lamp because I can pretend I’m a Chilean miner. miners The night before, I mapped out my 19 mile run, which would take me around the perimeter of Sacramento.

Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 12.14.25 PM

Part of the run would be on the sketchy part of the river trail where even during the day lots of drug deals happen, crazy people convene and every now and then a body washes up on the shore.

So this morning,  after a quick breakfast, I ran out of my neighborhood, over the overpass, through the park and toward the river. About two miles into the sketchy trail, I felt a wave of fear rushing through my body. I don’t like nature the way most people like nature. Most people are like, “Ooooh, a tree! Look at that tree! It’s so … old! And wooden!” I don’t really give a shit about trees.

To be honest, I like running, but I don’t like being outside.

That morning, I knew would be dark, but I didn’t realize how dark.

It was so dark that I felt like I was in a horrific dream, the glow of my headlamp bouncing up and down a few feet ahead of me.

Little raccoon eyes glowed on the sides of the trail. 8321And I jumped over a skunk.

Seriously. I jumped over a skunk.

The little bastard was right in front of me but it was so dark that I didn’t have time stop so I jumped in the air and let out a little scream.

0-james-brown-jump1

I would like to take this sentence to thank that skunk for not spraying me with his stink fumes.

Anyway, the stretch of sketchy trail was only about 7 miles, which would take me less than 50 minutes, so I kept telling myself that it was almost over.

Which was a lie. A horrible lie.

Did I tell you that I jumped over a skunk?

David-Lee-Roth-jump

I don’t know how, but I think halfway through the sketchy trail it managed to get even darker.

That’s when I heard muttering, then shouting, then wild screams. I picked up my pace so that I was running about a 6 minute mile, which is way too fast for a 19 mile run.

(Fear, it turns out, makes for a great marathon pacer.)

Then, out of nowhere, directly in front of me was a crackhead, a crazyass dude in his 20s with shitty dreadlocks, wildly baggy clothing and a bunch of random objects laid out in front of him like he was praying to some sort of fucked up schizophrenia shrine.

He was screaming, not at me, but at the sky, which was a hundred times creepier because the sky was black. He was screaming at the black sky.

And I’m pretty sure he was wearing raver pants.

Luckily, the crackhead rave champion didn’t acknowledge me. He just kept screaming at the sky. He didn’t even lunge at me (which, when I did the calculations, was statistically impossible) when I ran past him.

I would like to take this sentence to thank that crackhead for not stabbing me with an AIDS needle.

A few minutes later I reached the end of the sketchy trail where a bunch of police SUVs were parked on the river’s shore while a police boat floated nearby, probably fishing around for a lost set of keys OR A FUCKING DEAD BODY.

But at that point I could see street lights. The glow of the city was just up ahead.

When I finally made it downtown, the sun started to rise. I passed a weird Chinese farmer’s market where there were only Chinese people. Hundreds of Chinese people up at the asscrack of dawn buying shitloads of produce. I felt like I had taken a wrong turn and wandered into a secret, magical society.

But after asking around, it turns out everybody knows about that farmer’s market. It’s just a Chinese farmer’s market.

I ended up finishing the run in pretty good time, mostly because I ran half of the 19 miles in frightening darkness. I’ll probably run on that shitty trail again. But next time I’ll bring a friend. Or at least a rape whistle.

13chile-zamora-thumbs-up-blogSpan-1

Comments

1. Katie says:

This is great. Glad you avoided a spew of skunk fumes (which is a straight miracle) and getting punctured by an AIDS needle.

2. Honey Badger says:

A very entertaining story! Written so well, it painted a vivid picture in my head! Actually it was more like a video! Made me laugh so hard at times! Which is great because as I read it I was taking a shit! The laughter helped the release of my fecal matter! But not so much where it splashed and wet my ass. Where can I read more of these poop friendly stories?

Thanks,

The Honey Badger

3. seester says:

Honey Badger should befriend Lyn (sp?) if they haven’t already. So much shit and anus talk could occur!

4. tinyurl.com says:

With havin so much content and articles do you ever
    run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My site has a lot of unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it
    up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any ways to help prevent content
    from being ripped off? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

5. Yes! Finally someone writes about our coconut oil.

6. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering troubles with your RSS.
    I don’t know the reason why I am unable to join it.
    Is there anybody else having identical RSS issues?
    Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

7. ps4 games says:

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I’m quite sure I’ll learn plenty of new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

8. ps4 games says:

First of all I would like to say great blog! I had a quick question in which
    I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know
    how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.
    I’ve had a tough time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts
    out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are
    usually wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints?
    Many thanks!

9. This piece of writing will assist the internet viewers for building up new web
    site or even a blog from start to end.

10. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole
    my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just
    so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.

I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

11. It’s remarkable in favor of me to have a web site, which is good in support of my knowledge.
    thanks admin

12. ps4 games says:

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I do think that
    you should publish more on this subject, it might
    not be a taboo matter but typically folks don’t talk
    about these issues. To the next! Cheers!!

13. ps4 games says:

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions.
    Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read more things about it!

14. ps4 games says:

I love what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work
    and reporting! Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my personal blogroll.

15. I’m curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be utilizing?
    I’m experiencing some small security problems with my latest site and I would like to find
    something more safeguarded. Do you have any recommendations?

16. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful &
    it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like
    you helped me.